Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Goa- The paradise of India

After so much of serious talks, philosophy and grief, let me share my most recent exhilarating experience when I went to Goa with my colleagues. It was actually a pleasure trip with a reason. A teammate plus a good friend of mine was to tie her wedding knot in her hometown (Goa - fortunate for us J ). The master plan thus started. Who all, what are all the places, how much, when and how were the so many questions that were arising initially. As we started getting answers gradually, the day of departure came. Initially I was a bit apprehensive of how the people around me will be. Because only two of them were close to me and I was doubtful if I will be able to mingle with everyone. I had to destruct the corporate wall between us and construct a friendly bridge between each of us to make my doubts meaningless. Good that the others had also done their homework.

The journey actually started with my friend twisting her leg before even boarding the bus thereby resulting in a badly swollen ankle. It looked so dangerous that we all suspected a fracture. The bus journey was quiet ok. We can't expect anything more in a 15 hour journey. The route to Goa was through Karnataka and Maharashtra in the Western Ghats. It is really blissful to see the jungle-laden roads early in the morning. Since I am used to watch birds throughout train or bus journey it was a damn good feast to my eyes. I was able to see beautiful birds which I have neither heard of nor seen so far not even in photos. My my! Goan wildlife is so rich.

After a partially sleepless night finally we reached the destination- the city of Mapusa. Surprisingly none of us were tired. We were all eager to start the tour. The bride had booked rooms for us in a hotel near her house. After a sumptuous lunch (Being a vegetarian, I had nothing special to eat there), we followed the itinerary under the hot sun. We first went to Vagator beach. As we had so many other places to cover we just took photos on the rocks (where my parents wouldn’t allow me to climb) and waters and started to leave. We could see a fort on top of a mountain adjacent to the sea and we decided to explore that. We actually thought there must be some sort of road till the fort. But no! J The driver dropped us at the bottom of the hill and asked us to climb. Fortunately I and my friend (only girls) were not girly-girly types. We loved to climb. She had the will-power to trek with her swollen ankle. Kudos to her! We trekked for 15-20 mins only to find a dilapidated fort with no habitation. But surely the climb was worth because we could have a nice look at the beautiful sea below.

Next we went to Baga beach. I first thought it was just another beach. But the climax there which I am about to narrate made that place very special. Two from our group went for para-sailing. I was not much interested in that. Then we wanted to go for the “BANANA RIDE”. This was actually a task in Roadies 5.0. There was a banana shaped floating object which can take 5 people. It was then pulled by a motor boat. After pushing the banana a little into the water, the guy asked us to take our hands off the support when he pushes us into the water. Well, we all thought he is just giving the general safety tips. Then we saw a similar group in the middle of the ocean with the BANANA capsized. We understood the ride but it was too late. The same fate (that was the feeling we all had at that point) struck us. We were in the water searching for the floor in vain. We then swam back to the BANANA and embarked on it, only to face the repeat telecast twice again. Atlast the task was over. We swam back to the shore with such a pride of achieving something great. We all became heroes in 5 minutes. Yes fate was transformed to ecstasyJ.

Later we went to the Calangute beach(the first Goan beach I had seen in my last visit). Nostalgia struck me. It reminded of my times with dad and mom at the same place. After playing in the sea for a long time, we went to the main city Panjim for window shopping. People in big cities would have never seen such a calm and peaceful shopping center. It was a real pleasure to walk without someone before you. Then we went to a river cruise showcasing the excerpts of Goan culture.

Back in hotel we were chatting till 1 midnight after a small skit enacted by my friend knowing that the next day is also going to be hectic. I can never forget that night and the drama J.

The next day we went to the bride’s house for a small function and set out for South goa tour. But the day was very smooth with not much of happenings. A usual sort of trip. The only change was we all became very friendly as the hours passed by. Teasing each other, taking funny photos and so on. The gradual change happened without our knowledge and the closeness exists till date. We had dinner in friend’s house where they treated us very well and we felt at home. Then we went back to hotel to utilize the time left in chatting.

The next day was the main reason for which we were all there. The wedding. It went on smoothly with traditional Goan food. It was then time to leave. We bid a sorrowful goodbye to the place with plans of buying a house in Goa to settle down after retirement. Who knows! It may happen one day. The whole trip was a success.

No comments: